Some times there is the need to reset bios password, in order to be able to enter the BIOS and modifying its settings (e.g. to change the boot order). This BIOS Reset procedure on a desktop computer is a relatively easy process, because in most cases all you need to do is to remove the power cord and the CMOS/BIOS battery for a few minutes or to short the CLEAR CMOS jumper on the motherboard (if exists).
In the other hand if you own a Laptop, the procedure to reset the BIOS/CMOS setup password, is more complicated especially if the CMOS battery is not easy accessible.
This tutorial lists all the available ways to remove/clear the BIOS/CMOS password on a HP Probook, Elite or Pavilion Laptop.
How to Reset BIOS Password on HP Laptop.
Method 1. Remove the CMOS/Password battery.
The first method to remove the BIOS password on a HP (or other brand) laptop or Desktop computer, is to locate and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes. To accomplish this task:
1. Find out he location of the CMOS/Battery, by performing a simple search on the web about how to replace the CMOS battery on your laptop, computer or motherboard model.
2. Once you find that information, power down and remove the power cord from your computer.
3. Follow the instructions you found to open the laptop chassis.
4. Remove or disconnect the CMOS battery* for 6-10 minutes to erase the CMOS settings and clear CMOS password.
5. Reconnect (or put back in its place) the CMOS battery and then close the chassis.
6. Power on your computer and enter BIOS setup.
(Common types CMOS batteries)